Friday, August 27, 2010
Bryce Canyon
We went down south on June 11 to camp near Escalante with a couple families in our ward. The forecast called for rain, but being familiar with Utah summer thunderstorms I figured it would pass quickly--not rain like it does in the northwest. I was wrong. It rained all afternoon, night and into the next morning. And it was cold. Soon after we got the kids settled into bed, the tent collapsed. In the dark and mud, thanks to Don's stakes, Jeremy got it back up. Our friends' tent leaked so they slept in the tent trailer with our other friends. Oh, and Audrey was sick. It was a rather long and miserable night. In the morning, still raining, we decided not to hike the slot canyons as we had planned. Instead we headed to Bryce Canyon National Park and the sun came out just in time. We looked awful, but the views were spectacular. We enjoyed some mild hiking and then headed home. Needless to say, it was a very disappointing adventure.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a bummer! Slot canyons in southern Utah are some of our favorite hiking spots... I can't wait to be close enough to go back!
Sounds like a nightmare. I used to be afraid to admit, but not anymore, I hate camping! Bryce is beautiful though. I need to take my kids on a trip down there. Escalante too since that's where J's mother's family originated.
Post a Comment