Do you ever read a book at exactly the right time? I think my whole life I've struggled with feeling like I don't belong or fit in, worrying about what people think and well lots of other stuff... Soon after we moved, I went into my control and perfect state (aka crazy mom). It took me a few days to realize that I was avoiding feelings of vulnerability--fear, loneliness, sadness--because I wasn't feeling "good enough." I was so sad to leave our old neighborhood and ward where I'd hoped to stay for a long time. I worried that we'd made the right decision. I wasn't sure if I deserved to have so much of what we'd wanted with our new house. I wasn't sure if I'd fit in our new ward or make friends. After having moved so often in our marriage, I didn't want to go through the loneliness of being new and not knowing anyone or, worse, anyone knowing me. Instead I decided to control and perfect everything around me.
Enter this book. The back of the book describes it as, "In The Gifts of Imperfection, Brene Brown, a leading expert on shame, authenticity, and belonging shares ten guideposts on the power of Wholehearted living--a way of engaging with the world from a place of worthiness." I highly recommend it. I now have lots of practicing to do. I hope to document some of the things I'm learning and working on in my journey to become "a recovering perfectionist and aspiring good-enoughist." For example, today I decided to let my house be messy and I took a nap. Mostly, though, I'm looking at the world from a different perspective and feeling a lot more whole inside. Read the book because I'd love to have some friends with me on my journey.
6 comments:
I will read it. Sounds perfect. Thanks for the recommendation.
I don't consider myself to be a perfectionist, but I certainly have many thoughts of inadequacy running around my head. I'm definitely going to read this book - it sounds wonderful!
I love this book!! I read it a little bit ago!! You will love it!!!
From your mother that has struggled with the same things and is still on her journey, I plan on buying it tomorrow and have told friends about it.You've always been an example to me!
Sounds like a good book, and probably one every woman should read! I'll have to add it to my ever-growing pile. Good luck in your new neighborhood, you are so cute and friendly, I don't think you have anything to worry about! It's also nice to know that you'll be "settled" for quite some time, that will help!
It sounds like a book for every woman! I will enjoy reading it. Your lovely and beautiful, creative and inspiring, kind and Christlike. Isn't it so interesting that we all have to forge our path. But from someone looking in from the outside. I always loved you, admired you, and enjoyed your relaxing upbeat company. Never fear, friends will come flocking....we all need a Terra in our life.
Post a Comment