Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Empowerment

My blog has become very boring. I keep thinking about writing more, but I just haven't. So, here's to giving that a shot. Lately I've been thinking about empowerment, especially in terms of being a woman and what that means to me in my life. I was inspired by the following women and their stories of courage and empowerment:

Elizabeth Smart


To me empowerment means having a voice and making choices. Both of those women had those things taken from them for a time, but were able to survive and now use their voice to help others.
I have struggled in my life from time to time with having a voice and making choices. Sometimes my fear of making a wrong choice has made me feel paralyzed. I'd like to think I am making progress though. I am trying not to be afraid of my own voice and I am learning that it's ok to make mistakes.
I can see evidence of this in my decisions with this pregnancy. When I had Paul I went to the only OB in the small town where we lived. He was an old-school doctor about to retire. He was not kind. I did not like him. I did whatever the hospital or doctor/nurses told me to do. I felt they knew best and I had very little experience. Although everything went well and I had a healthy baby, I did not come away from the experience feeling empowered.
Sam's birth was much different. After Paul's birth I gave up on male OBs and any doctor about to retire. I loved my doctor with Sam and most of the nurses were great. I had a natural birth with him and felt very empowered by that. Still there were things that happened with the hospital staff that were not ok, but again I just did what I was told.
With Audrey I knew what kind of birth I wanted and tried to make that clear. I liked my doctor, but she and the hospital staff did not listen to me and I did not want to cause trouble, so again I went along with what they told me to do. I have since learned that that particular hospital is very "medical" and was not the best choice for a natural birth. I did not like the way I was treated there, even though I did get to have a natural birth.
So this time round I was going to go with the clinic where I'd been going for annual exams and such. Then I realized that the receptionists are usually cranky and it's a big clinic where I often have to wait to be seen and there's not a whole lot of personalized attention/care. I decided to take matters into my own hands. I looked into a birth center and loved it. I was set on going there, but realized that with our insurance it would cost a lot more. Plus Jeremy was supportive, but had some concerns about it not being a hospital. I found a midwife close to our house that delivers at a hospital. Although I was disappointed about giving up the birth center, I feel really comfortable with my decision. My midwife is great and the clinic is small so I never have to wait. I get lots of personal attention and we have discussed my past birth experiences and my current birth plan. Although there are still some things I don't like about the hospital procedures, I will probably get to have more things my way (i.e. no induction, no IV, snacks, a tub, a natural birth without laying flat or my feet in stirrups, leaving early) as long as everything goes well. Already I feel more confident and I am glad I was able to speak up and make my own choices about what I want, even though it took me awhile to figure that out.

6 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

Good for you! Sounds like its bound to be a successful pregnancy and birth since you know what you want and are able to stand up for it. Very exciting!

Cam said...

Good luck. Those are very personal decisions and every woman should have the right to make them. I hope things go the way you plan. When are you due? Are you finding out the gender?

Katie said...

I just found your blog from Facebook! I hate that we often make decisions about birth because of money. I have been in the same boat! We were able to 'force' DMBA to pay for our homebirth (2nd baby), because we lived in Texas when the baby was born and CNMs can deliver at home there! They refused to pay at first, but after a letter from a lawyer they paid it! With my 3rd birth, we had another homebirth. I'm not really sure how we paid for that one. We must have paid early on in the pregnancy, back when we actually had some money ;-P We sure didn't by the end of the pregnancy!

Margaret said...

You are a strong,intelligent, confident woman with a great voice. I'm glad you use if for your good. Love you!!!

Grandmummsie said...

Oh I wish you the best! I've had different doctors with each of my children and very similar experiences with my doctors and the hospitals as well. I totally understand about just doing what the doctors suggest :) Lindsay is voting for a girl cousin, by the way :)

Grandmummsie said...

Oh, by the way, this is Jennifer Israelsen...I'm on my mom's computer!