Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Traditional Christmas

This Christmas will go down in memory as a wonderful one. I was actually sad to take down the tree (which we chopped ourselves this year in the mountains) and put away the decorations. We enjoyed our time together reflecting on the birth and life of our Savior, singing carols, giving and receiving gifts from family and friends and eating goodies. I just love the traditions and the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of Christmastime.


Christmas Eve is my favorite day of the year--don't know if I've mentioned that here before, but it is. We spent the day cleaning and getting toys ready for Santa. Sam gave his mousie and puppy a bath. Audrey and I got our dollies ready. Once the house was spick and span, we got ready for Jesus Supper--a tradition since I was a kid--where we eat foods Jesus may have eaten by candle light with wooden dishes. Then we read the Christmas story from the bible and sang some hymns. The kids opened their Christmas pjs from Grandma and we enjoyed cookies and cocoa and a cozy fire. Soon it was off to bed to eagerly await the morning...


Audrey loved the kitchen and wouldn't stop playing to open her presents. She also loved her little high chair. Have I mentioned how much she loves her babies?


Sam woke up in the middle of the night and when he saw his stocking by his bed he said, "That's supposed to be hanging up." When Jeremy explained that Santa had come he was wide awake with excitement. When he opened his stocking in the morning Sam made up names for anything that he wasn't sure about. He said, "It was so nice of Santa to give me two treats."


Pillow pets were the big hit this year--it was the only thing consistently on both boys' lists. Paul was initially more excited about his hex bug than the Wii. But it has brought out his competitive side and if he thinks he can't win, he won't play.

1 comment:

Cam said...

Looks like your family enjoyed a lovely Christmas together!