A couple things happened: when we were working in the garden Paul asked if it (the garden) was more important than them (the kids). Paul didn't want to go on a bike ride with me one day. He wanted to play with friends instead.
These events made me wonder if I was not connecting with my kids in a fun way. We have been busy around here.
So I came up with a strategy: tea parties.
I sent the kids an invitation. Sam said, "I don't want to go. That's dumb. Tea parties are for girls." Fortunately Paul was on board, so he was soon singing a different tune.
First we had a traditional tea party with little cucumber sandwiches, scones and sweet warm milk. They had to wear a hat.
The next week we had a "favorites" tea party with watermelon, raisins, chocolate chip cookies and strawberry milk. We also had some favorite guests with us: Grandma and Grandpa Spencer and Ted (the Kindergarten teddy bear).
This week we're having a dirt party with dirt cups and chocolate milk outside.
So far, it's been a great way to have a little fun together and hopefully help my kids feel like they are the most important. I have several more themed parties planned: outer space (green jello, pop rocks, star sandwiches, lemonade), joke (little pizza cakes and jello cups), baseball (little hot dogs, peanuts, sunflower seeds, ginger ale), mini (tiny tea set milkshakes, mini cupcakes, mini m&ms, mini marshmallows). If you have any other ideas let me know. Cheers!
2 comments:
SOOOO fun!
Why was I never clever enough to ask Mom if her garden was more important than me?! Darn it!
Post a Comment