Thursday, May 19, 2011

In Progress

The dining room is the first room you see when you walk in--straight down the hall. I like that it is separate from the kitchen and I love all the light from the big window. It is still in progress. I need to paint the bookcase turned dish cupboard. I'm thinking a mustard yellow? I did hang some curtains with a homemade curtain rod--not my best invention, but it does the job. I'd also like a chandelier in here and then the walls need something. At least some paint color or maybe even wallpaper? I'm rather undecided and in need of inspiration at this point.


The family room is where we spend most of our time. It is open to the kitchen. The back deck is just out the french doors and then the mudroom/laundry room, the half bath and door to the garage are just down a little hall on the other side. This room is taking me the longest to settle into, mostly because we didn't have any furniture for it. We are storing Jer's parents sectional while their basement is occupied, which is nice because it's super comfortable and takes up most of the room! I didn't really care about decorating this room, I just wanted it to be comfortable and functional. I had a whole different color scheme in mind originally, but this room has just evolved on its own.

We had a tiny space for the computer, so I found a little side table on KSL, then took off the bottom shelf, spray painted the legs black and now it works as a desk. I got that cool little chair for free because the seat was broken, but a with little wood glue and spray paint, it's good as new.

I painted a dresser that we had then added new knobs to use as the TV stand.

We had a family movie night after dinner one day and the sun was blaring right in our faces, so I found these curtains and rod on KSL again. They block the sun and add some interest--they feel like velvet.

One day I realized we had no clock and so I also snagged this big clock on KSL. I always buy used when I can or repurpose what I already have--it's easy on the budget that way.

I would still like a comfy rug (which I can't decide on) and some pillows. Sometimes I think more furniture would be better, but honestly I think it would just get in the way with the kids. So for now, it's great and I'll wait till the weather is cold again to finish it or even start all over!

2 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

I can't wait to see it all in person!

Travis and Heather said...

Three words. You've been busy.

And it is all worth it. It looks remarkable.