Today is the 7th anniversary of our engagement and I thought I'd tell a bit of the story for posterity's sake. Jeremy and I met in May 2001. It was only a couple months later when one night as he dropped me off he said, "We should date for a while before we get married." Maybe he was expecting a big reaction, but I only said okay. For us, deciding to get married was the easy part, but deciding when to get married was not. I had 1 year left at BYU in Provo, and Jeremy was going to the community college in Salt Lake. We had very little money and one car, so finally we decided to wait until after I graduated to get married. It felt like the best time. I figured we would get engaged around the holidays, but then 9-11 happened. For the first time I felt fear and uncertainty about the future and Jeremy called my Dad. I happened to call my parent's house right after that and my Dad said that Jer had called, so to me that could only mean one thing!It was a Friday night when I came up for the weekend from Provo (as usual) and Jer suggested that I pick somewhere to go out to eat. Then he wanted to look at rings again and he pretended like he hadn't forgotten my ring size. He told me that he's called my brother for his birthday so that explained the phone call. By now I'd given up hope of going back that weekend with a ring on my finger. Obviously he had nothing planned. Bummer.
On Saturday we went to the Jordan River Temple with another couple to do baptisms. Afterwards, we walked around the grounds and sat on a little bench. Jeremy started talking about how different I was from other girls (in a good way of course) and how much he loved me. It was sweet, but I don't think I was paying a lot of attention until he got down on one knee and I saw that sparkling little ring. My favorite part was walking back to the car and wanting to scream, "We're engaged!" I was so excited!
Tonight we're planning a family trip to the temple grounds and maybe we'll do a little re-enactment just to watch the boys giggle. Jer, thanks for asking me and if you asked me again today I'd definitely say "yes" even if I might add a "what took you so long!"
12 comments:
That is such a fun story! Congrats!
Wow, that was like a blog marathon! I'm so glad you're blogging again! Congratulations on the 7 years of engagement!Jer is a stud and you look really young in that picture - hee hee.
How cute are you guys? So cute, that's how.
I don't remember the date Damon proposed. But it involved Junior Mints. Jealous?
That was so fun to read. You make a great couple. I have been checking your blog occasionally and I was happy to see so much new stuff...I'll get to mine maybe on Sunday...
Ahhh! Terra, even though we lived together while most of this was going on I don't think I ever knew how it actually happened! Things were a little crazy then and I'm sorry I wasn't able to share in that story with you as much as I should have. For the record, I'm so glad we moved down to UT so you could meet Jeremy! Love ya!
Oh BTW, how does paul know about the big mall in canada?!? was it something Nate was telling him as they bonded over playing toys? what a good memory!
I love hearing how people met & got engaged--thanks for sharing. Congratulations on 7 years! So, how long after you were engaged did you get married?
That is really sweet!
I'm glad you had fun in Washington, sorry about the rain. It's been gorgeous ever since Justin's parents left. Except today. Today Fall decided to make an appearance.
Miss you!
Oh!! That was sooo romantic! You guys are great! Love ya!
Whar a fun day to remember! I love hearing the story of how people met.
HI Terra! I found you through Nicolle! You have a beautiful family!
I love hearing about proposals:) Cute family and Laura lives in Draper now while she is still searching for a house.
Post a Comment