Friday, June 19, 2009

Day-to-Day



June has been rather boring, especially with all the rain we've been getting. After deciding that Jer was right and we don't need to buy the first house we see for sale in the neighborhood, I turned my attention to getting ready for the baby. I knew having a little girl would be fun, but this is way too much fun. The nursery is almost done (I often wish my obsessive preparation for a baby would rub off into other areas of my life; alas it does not.) I have a few more projects to complete. We're all excited to meet her, even though it's still 3 months away. Jeremy's decided he doesn't like girl clothing--it's silly looking. He does have a point. I mean, who wears hot pink leggings with ruffles on the bum? But I think it's cute. I greatly dislike being pregnant, but I'm trying not to complain or let the psycho-hormones take over. Also, I'm wrapping my mind around the fact that this is home now. Everywhere we've lived has had a time limit. It's weird and exciting to think this could be the place our kids grow up and we grow old.
Jeremy is finishing up his residency and sad to leave, but also excited to move on with his career. I'm so glad that he decided to do a residency. His skills and confidence have improved and he's had many great learning experiences. I admire his love of learning and improving himself. Lately he's into hiking and gardening. We've found that we both have a love of gardening and it's fun to do together. Despite our efforts, our little garden is struggling. Fortunately, we'll have many years to work on our skills.
The boys are the boys. They love to play together and be outside again. The other day they were arguing in the van and Sam blurts out, "balderdash!" to which Paul replied, "poppycock." I laughed so hard. They sounded like a couple of old men. Usually they are great friends and just as busy, smart and active as ever. Jer reads Dr. Suess every night and Paul has Oh the Places You'll Go memorized (for the most part). He's also started sounding out words and gets very excited that he can read. His social confidence has grown a ton this last year. He makes a new friend anywhere we go and he's no longer clingy at all. Paul still does not like to write or draw, but he is making some effort. He can write his name and he drew a robot once. He loves to climb trees and is getting quite good at it. Sam says everything now and loves to make people laugh. He's working on learning his colors. He knows some letters and likes to pretend that he can spell. He can count to 14 and backwards from 5. He's not fiercely independent, but has been wanting to do more things himself. He mastered jumping on the trampoline and loves to "practice." We're going to attempt potty-training next month (good luck, us): his last step out of babyhood. At least he still cuddles with me.

6 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

Sounds like life is good. I'm so excited to see you guys! Its amazing to me how completely different kids can be... Jonas really likes to draw (especially superheroes with sidewalk chalk) and dislikes letters and whatnot. Bryant was COMPLETELY opposite. Sounds like your boys are smart as ever!

Cali said...

You're boys sound so cute. I love how they have different interests, but are such good friends with one another.

And, those little girl clothes really are cute--and you may as well pull off the leggings with the ruffles while you can!

Rachel said...

We can't wait to meet her either! :)

Darlene said...

I would love to see pictures of the nursery you have decorated. You have always had great taste in decorating.

KellyAnne said...

You know, I hope you write in journal. You're such a great writer. I love the way you put things.
I love the balderdash and poppycock!!! Goofballs. :)
I'm sorry about your aunt. Hope you're feeling well!

Amy said...

OH man that is so funny. (Balderdash and poppycock) Where do they get that stuff? I was laughing when I read that and Bode started laughing too like he was in on the joke. I'm excited you guys are having a girl too. Can't wait to meet her.