Friday, June 12, 2009

Destination Known

Jer's education has been a long journey for him and our family. Finally we are at the end. Destination: Granger Medical Group in Riverton, Utah. Here's a little recap of where the journey has taken him:

August 1983 starts Kindergarten at Fox Hills Elementary

June 1996 graduates from Kearns High School
August 1996 begins classes at Salt Lake Community College Redwood Campus

August 1997--August 1999 takes a break form school to serve an LDS mission in Padova, Italy
Resumes classes at Salt Lake Community College studying Biology
May 2002 transfers to University of Utah studying chemistry
February 2004 takes the OAT (Optometry Admissions Test)
April 2004 is accepted to Pacific University College of Optometry
August 2004 moves to Forest Grove, Oregon and begins classes at Pacific
May 2005 receives a B.S. degree in Visual Science
August 2006 takes first part of National Board exams
May 2007 begins external rotations at Kaiser Permanente in Portland, Oregon
November 2007 moves to Salt Lake City, Utah to continue rotations at the Salt Lake Veteran's Hospital and the Eye Institute of Utah
December 2007 takes the second part of National Board exams
March 2008 matches with the Salt Lake Veteran's Hospital's residency program
April 2008 takes the third part of National Board exams

May 2008 graduates from Pacific University as a Doctor of Optometry
July 2008 becomes licensed, moves to Sandy, Utah and begins residency
June 2009 signs contract with Granger Medical Group
(November 2009 will become a Fellow with the American Academy of Optometry)

Arriving at this point has been a long and sometimes rough road. Finding a job has had more ups and downs than I expected. Before Jer started Optometry school, his family Optometrist advised that Optometry was a dying practice. We were surprised, but realized that he was referring to the challenges that face Optometry in the Salt Lake Valley. The market is very saturated here and a major insurance group does not cover Optmetrists. Also, retail Optometry in general is affecting private practice. But our plan, when all was said and done, was to settle in the Northwest. We really weren't worried and were open to settling in other areas. However, after Jer began his residency we both began to feel that we were supposed to stay here. In the fall he began actively looking for jobs and making contacts in Salt Lake and elsewhere. I can't even remember how many different doctors he's met with over the last several months, but it's been a long process, especially with the recession. We've been extremely blessed to receive a few offers with different potentials. We very carefully made our decision and are very excited about this opportunity. Granger is a group of many doctors and has three clinics, but no other Optometrists. Jer will be working directly for an Opthamologist, but at his own clinic while opening an optical shop too. We think there's a lot of potential for a rewarding career. I feel it's a miracle that Jeremy was able to find such a great job here and that I am actually happy settling here as well. It's been hard for me to accept that I won't be near my family, but we feel strongly that this is the right decision, that the Lord has a plan for our little family which somehow involves us living here and we are so grateful for this blessing. Also, I'm so proud of Jer and all the goals he has set and achieved. I'm thankful that he works so hard to provide for our family.

18 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

No kidding, just last night I told Ethan, "I wonder if Jeremy knows where he's going to be working... I should call Terra soon." Hooray for you guys! That sounds like a GREAT opportunity! I am so happy for you all! Hope to see you this summer!

Jared and Tanya's Family said...

I am so glad that he has found a job that seems very promising. I am also very glad that you will be staying here.

Darlene said...

Yeah for a good job! Feeling peace about a job is the best reward. I enjoy watching your little family grow... and very excited to see a little princess join you soon. Wish you the best of luck with settling for the long haul!

Natalie said...

That is very exciting! I am so glad that he found a good job and that both of you are content with the location! Good luck!

KellyAnne said...

That is so cool. Terra I love the way you have posted about this, and Jeremy, way to go! We're really proud of you guys and very happy that you found such a great opportunity. Best of luck! Hopefully we'll get a chance to visit soon!

Delee said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad all your hard work will finally pay off. I'm sure Jeremy will love his job, and don't worry, we'll come visit you every chance that we get!

Trenda said...

Riverton, huh? Craig says the practice is right up the street from our house. Are you guys just going to stay where you are living then, if so, that will be nice. We need to get together soon! :)

Cali said...

Wow, congrats! Sounds like a wonderful opportunity and like it really all fell into place for you to follow the guidance of the spirit in your lives. I'm so happy for you!

Jamey said...

Congrats! That sounds like a good situation. We are excited for you!!!

Travis and Heather said...

What happy news. I am so glad for you that the search is over, the decision is made. What a peaceful happy feeling. We love you guys, miss you and are glad to see that all is well!

JandS Morgan said...

Wow, congratulations! I'm so glad you guys were able to find a good job. Utah is a great place to be.

Rachel said...

Congratulations! That is quite a journey, and accomplishment. WE're proud for you both.

Amy said...

That is so exciting! Congrats you guys! What a relief I bet that all is. I have to say seeing him and Kiley in front of their old tree makes me miss the old days when they lived there. Great times.

izzynjen said...

Well, I'm selfish Terra, b/c I'm glad you're a little closer to me...now we'll have to plan a visit. We really want to take Hyrum to Hogle Zoo, so maybe we'll make a day out of it. Congrats to Jeremy :)

Kiley said...

I'm so happy that you were able to find a job after things weren't looking too great there for a while. I'm sorry for Terra that she will be away from her family, but just know that we are certainly here for you all! Love ya--Kiley, Den and the kids.

Kiley said...

Oh yeah, plus, nice job on the post! It looks great and was a great look down memory lane.

Jules said...

More fun times for us in Utah away from our families in Washington. When are we going to do dinner? Let me know. Jules

Cam said...

Thanks for posting the update, I've wondered how things are going-I'm glad that they've worked out so well. I'm excited you'll be in Utah and hope we can hang out soon. Are you planning to stay in Sandy? Congrats!!