For some reason it's amazing to me how each birth experience is different and none of mine have gone as I planned. With all the contractions I'd been having and the fact that I was dilated to almost a 3 for almost 3 weeks, I didn't think I would make it to my due date. My doctor gave me an optional 39 week induction, but I passed it up because 1) I didn't want to be induced (like I was with Paul) and 2) I was hoping to go natural (like I did with Sam, although that wasn't planned). But my due date came and went and because of the glucose intolerance my doctor didn't want the baby to be overdue, so Thursday morning we headed to the hospital for induction. By then though I was just wanting the baby out so I wasn't too disappointed (just a little). I still thought I would try to go natural. They started the pitocin at about 10 am. I was disappointed to learn that they wouldn't let me get up and walk and there was no soaking tub--those were what got me through labor with Sam. The doctor broke my water at about 11:30. The contractions were strong and steady and manageable. I read a book and Jer and I played a game to help the time pass. As the contractions got worse, I was breathing through them and still feeling confident. At about 2:30 the nurse checked me and I was at a 9 and the baby still had to come down a little and I still wasn't completly effaced. I doubt the nurse got back to the nurse's station and I was suddenly in horrible pain with the urge to push. The nurse and doctor came. I seemed to have forgotten how to push or do anything. The pain was so intense. But I realized I had to get the baby out. So I tried to focus and push past all the pain and burning. She was born at 2:51 pm. Sweet relief.
My reasons for going natural were personal. I really feel like looking back it's an amazing physical and spiritual experience. The nurses and doctor praised my self control and it's hard to explain, but honestly I feel like it made me a more better and stronger, more empathetic person. I also love the recovery. Three hours after she was born I was sitting at a table having a steak dinner with Jer watching the sun set behind the mountains. I had already been to the bathroom twice and except for the cramping, was in very little pain. I took two motrin at the hospital and haven't had any other medication since--that's really awesome compared to my recovery with Paul. With all that said, though, if there is a next time I think I'll opt for the epidural.
Audrey is a great baby so far. She's a champion nurser and has been sleeping pretty well at night. I tried to get more pictures, but it's so hard to capture her cuteness and sweetness. (And we need a new camera). I made her little coming home putfit, so we tried to do a photo shoot at the hospital, but she was not very cooperative. She also loves to suck and has found her thumb a few times. The boys, especially Paul, are crazy about her and are such good helpers. We've loved having a new addition to our family. And it is glorious to not be pregnant anymore!



13 comments:
I think you've captured her sweetness beautifully! She is gorgeous! Yay for your wonderful family! You are an amazing woman and mother. Audrey is certainly lucky to have you to look up to as a mom!
I love her! I want to jump on a plane so bad right now I could cry. She is beautiful. And her outfit is so cute, too. I hope the hair bows I sent work in her hair soon. Her little grumpy face is priceless!
She really is so beautiful. I'm so glad that your recovery is going so well. And I'm so glad that she made it here safely. Congratulations again!
Congratulations Again. Thanks for sharing these moments. It was awesome to read. Makes me want to have more kids!
Hi Terra,
It's Kathy Gilbride. I hope you remember me from when we lived downtown in the Whittier ward 5 years ago ;) James and I are living in Riverton and we saw Jeremy's picture in the South Valley Journal as a new doctor at Granger so we thought we'd look you guys up and found your blog.
Congratulations on Jeremy's success in school and now a career, on your cute boys, and now, a beautiful daughter! You guys have done so well and are such a beautiful family. It was so fun to catch up!
Kathy & James Gilbride
I can't wait to meet her, does this weekend work for you??? We'll be down there and I don't have much going on Saturday. She is beautiful. Congrats!!!
I loved reading this birth story. I am so happy that it went well and that you and Audrey are doing well.Once again please let me know when and how I can help.
She's BEAUTIFUL and looks like she fits right in the family! Congrats on all of your hard work Terra, I admire you so much.
We love her! She is beautiful!
I love thumbsuckers. You are amazing for making it au natural. I love my epidural, but always wondered how it would feel to do it that way.
How did i miss this!!? YEAH!! I'm so happy she's here! Congratulations on your first girl! Hope you are all well! you're a champ!
Congratulations!!!! We are very excited for you and I can not wait to meet her. She is darling in the pictures.
Congratulations! I wish we could have met her when we were there, but it just didn't work out.
Post a Comment