Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Buh-Bye Beige

Our whole house including the ceiling is beige. I don't mind it too much. After living in white apartments for so long the beige is not bad. But I had bought some yellow (Behr's sunburst) paint to do a furniture project that never happened and I decided to use it in the laundry/mud room. You know the room in your house that's never clean? (Ok, maybe you don't have one.) That was our laundry/mud room--always full of mail, odds and ends, dirt, shoes, bags, coats, etc. It was driving me crazy. My in-laws' neighbor was getting rid of this cute bench and mirror and asked if we wanted it. I'm always up for freebies and so I was inspired to finally tackle the room. Now it's the only room in our house that's not beige and the only room that's officially done. The best part? It's clean! And the kids are actually putting their shoes/coats/bags away so it's staying clean. I guess we all feel a little inspired sans beige.

Here's the before. I thought I had a better one--this was actually after I came home and Jer had taken out the oak/white laminate cabinet, so pretend it's there. Check out the florescent light. And see the terrible vinyl floor? I was going to re-do it, but decided to wait until we re-do the kitchen (one day) so as to not have too many different types of flooring. Instead of spending money on a temporary fix, I just bleach-scrubbed it, let a magic eraser work its magic, caulked the edges and then bought a rug.

And the afters:



3 comments:

Delee said...

love it! someone gave you that mirror!?!

Cam said...

Your laundry room looks nice and big! As always, I am in love with your style and decorating- you are so good at it.

Kim-the-girl said...

That looks fabulous! Oh to be "done" with anything in my house... I can dream. :)