Thursday, April 24, 2008

Life's Realities

It all started with Paul watching and becoming obsessed with Toy Story. He loves to fly around like Buzz Lightyear (saying "to infinity and beyond" as well). So I made him some cardboard wings out of a diaper box. He was thrilled and went outside to try them out. After jumping and running a bit he looked back at me in disappointed surprise. "Mommy, my wings don't work. I can't fly like Buzz." The poor kid thought he was actually going to be able to fly. It took some convincing that he is a boy, not a bird or an airplane and jumping off the lamppost or table will not help him fly. Jeremy has been trying to tell him that Buzz doesn't actually fly either. He remains unconvinced. I told him Buzz just falls with the wind. His response: "No, Mommy. Buzz is in the bedroom. There's no wind in there."
I also broke down and bought him a skateboard, which he has been asking for almost a year. (But what "good" mother buys her 2-year-old a skateboard, seriously?) I saw a plastic one made for little kids at Shopko and since we've been cleaning out (and getting rid of) toys, I thought he could have it. He was sadly let down when the skateboard didn't "go by itself" or roll very smoothly on it's own. He still practices his tricks with it though and it slept a couple nights in his bed and took a trip to Grandma and Grandpa's. One day when he's grown-up (even though he insists that he is 5 now--"I had a party and grew up") he can have a real one.
Today was national Take Your Kid to Work Day. Jeremy was super excited. He woke Paul up at 6:30, had him take a shower and get dressed up and go to work with him for about an hour. Paul did pretty well and sat through one exam. Although the bus ride lived up to all he expected, he did want to stay the whole day with Daddy.
Oh, little Paul, you'll be grown-up soon enough...

11 comments:

Tina said...

Oh my goodness! That is so cute seeing him with Jer at work! I love it! What a big boy!

Kim-the-girl said...

I love that Jeremy was excited to take him to work, I'm sure Ethan was clueless to the whole idea ;o) Paul is more like a 9 year old in a 3 year old body...he's so smart, but still a kid. It was SO much fun playing while the dads were away! Thanks for coming up!

Aubrey said...

That is adorable. I love that Sam is giving him an exam. That reminds me I need to schedule an appointment for me. Soo cute, he already is growing up way too fast.

Delee said...

I'm so happy he finally got his skateboard! I hate living so far away, I feel like I'm missing everything!

Kathy Ricks said...

Paul, Paul, Paul, what a little character! It is so hard to be little and think you're big. We have the same problem! Sam looks like a toddler now, not a baby. His face has thinned out. love you

Neil said...

Our little boys are having so many good experiences,way to go ter&jer.I like the lab coat jer...
May the blue bird of paradise smile on you all.Love Dad S.via neilio

P.S. The waters of life has filled your cup.

Rachel said...

How fun. What a cutie that little Paul is!

KellyAnne said...

That is so stinking adorable. He's so cute all dressed up like a Dad. :)
Dallin likes skateboards too. He's seen bigger boys playing on them. Justin's not really excited about the idea of his son being a "skater" so I'm not sure if Dallin will be getting one for his birthday or not. We'll see!

Barney Family Blog said...

That is so cute he tought he could fly. He really is just like Buzz lightyear and you are Woody trying to convince him he really can't fly. Funny! Layotn thinks skatboarding and snowboarding are the coolest too.

Amy said...

That's so cute! What a stud!!

Kara said...

Paul if funny! It's sad he was so let down by the fact he couldn't really fly like buzz. He's a cutie.