Friday, May 30, 2008

Graduation: Hip, Hip, Hooray!

One word to describe graduation day: hot. For the second time ever all the professional programs of Pacific University graduated together. May 17, 2008 was uncharacteristically for Forest Grove, OR in the 90's. There's no air conditioning in the gym and there were lots of people! It was hot. We survived, however.
Festivities began on Friday night with the awards banquet at the Portland Convention Center. It was so great to see everyone that we hadn't seen all year. I got emotional when Dr. Smythe read all the stats for the hours of lecture, labs, tests, and clinics. I'm so proud of Jer. He impresses me with his ability to understand concepts and work with patients. He became a doctor during these last 4 years and I've loved watching learn and change, become involved and realize what will be most important to his patients as well as his career. We've come a long way! Sometimes I can't believe we actually did it.
Saturday morning was a Welcome to the Profession ceremony. The grads received their hoods. Afterwards, we mingled with friends and families at the reception. Saturday afternoon was the actual graduation. I wish it could have been just our class, but it was very cool to experience. Afterwards, we hosted a dinner for our families with our good friends, the Despains. Thanks to Jer's parents, my parents, my brother Dean adn my Aunt Kathy who all came to celebrate with us. Susan and I (mostly Susan) got Jer and Devin a phoropter cake. Very cool.
It was a great day. Many congrats to Dr. Jer.

getting his hood--the color peacock is for Optometry
the graduation ceremony
our little crew--Jer gave me the red gratitude stole
the whole gang
the cake

8 comments:

Cam said...

congratulations to you both! The cake is awesome, where did you get it? I'll have to keep that in mind!

KellyAnne said...

WOw, very cool cake!

Aubrey said...

Yea Congradulations!!! That is a big accomplishment for the both of you. You are such a supportive wife.
And awesome cake.

Rachel said...

Congratulations! And it was great to see you all last week.

Kathy Ricks said...

Thank you for including me (as always). Do you include me or do I just invite myself!!!! Anyway, it was so fun to be with guys again. Congrats Dr Jeremy! I know you will be the best ever. love you, Aunt Kathy

Tina said...

Woo hoo! You guys did it! I remember when you left in August'04 and look at your little family now!!! Congrats on all the hard work, and we love you! Glad you are back with us, and school is DONE!!! Way to go!

Amy said...

Congratulations Dr. Jer!!!

Kara said...

Congratulations you guys! I understand exactly what you went through. It is not easy. I'm so happy you guys are on to your next stage in life. Maybe we can get together when I'm down in Utah. I'll call you!