We moved from Forest Grove with mixed feelings. Jeremy is finishing his last two internships in Salt Lake City. Change is always hard for me and I tend to get a little sentimental (like I've been watching Little People, Big World just to catch glimpses of Hillsboro). I remember it was hard to move to Forest Grove at first, but we made a lot of wonderful friends and great memories. It was our first time on our own, away from both our families and both our boys were born there. In many ways, we became a family there. I miss the small-town feel and beautiful green farm lands,and mostly I miss our friends and the circle of support and understanding we had there. Ironicly, we thought we were moving to a "bubble" and it seems as though we were leaving one. Our new apartment smells like smoke despite all my efforts (and air fresheners--we even took off all the vents and soaked them in ammonia and vinegar and re-cleaned all the cupboards--I've used an entire bottle of Febreeze in 2 days), the kids that play at the playground behind us have very bad language, our neighbors across the way live an alternative lifestyle, and our ward is small and a little odd. We were also looking forward to the snowy holidays, but so far it's been around 70 degrees.
It is nice to be near family again, especially for Paul and Sam. Jeremy went to a Utah football game on Saturday and gets to go again this weekend. The boys and I took a long walk on the Jordan River Parkway which is right next to our apartments and it was very pretty and will hopefully help us get our walking fix that we loved so much in the Grove. Christmas shopping will be so much more convenient and we won't have to spend our holidays traveling. I'm sure it won't be long until it feels like home and we are reminiscing about our days in the Taylorsville Ghetto!
9 comments:
Well, we are glad that you are back, and we can see more of each other. Your right change can be a challenge at times. We love you, and welcome back.
We are glad you are back too!!! We love you!!
Utah 50
WYO 0
crap >:(
Man I am really sorry to hear about the smoke thing. That's the thing that always drove me the craziest. I think I owe most of my gray hairs to second hand smoke. This probably won't help much, if at all, but you can try an air purifier thing. Our landlord bought one as their way to try and remedy a smoke problem we had in Forest Grove. Mostly I just had to run the fans a lot and open windows. But that's cuz our downstairs neighbors were CURRENTLY smoking. Not sure what to do when the smell is left behind. Good luck Terra, and remember that 6 months really isn't all THAT long! :)
Love ya!
Hey you-and you were so excited about your new place with the playground right outside your back door, and a nice, clean apartment. Smokers-ARGHHH!!! We had people smoke below us in our old apartment and it came through the vents-disgusting. I had to keep OUST and Febreze handy. But to move into somewhere where the people smoked before? NO FUN! See-Garden Grove isn't the complete Ghetto! Hang in there. We miss you already-Easton keeps asking why Paul had to move to Utah.
People always tell me that these times when we're dirt poor and live in terrible areas are the times they look back on with the most fondness. We'll see, right? Good luck!
Hey Terra. Sorry about the disappointments with the new place, no fun! But, we hope that everything else is working out really well for you. We didn't get a chance to say goodbye, and I wanted to let you know that we enjoyed getting to know you. You are one of those people who you only have to meet once to know that you are a good person and friend. Thanks for always reaching out to me in friendship, it really means a lot to me.
Oh, if the smell is trapped in your carpets and walls, you can try setting out pie tins with coffee beans in them or baking soda in them to soak up the odor--and I've even sprinkled my whole floor with baking soda before and then vacuumed after about an hour or so.
Also, a lot of carpet cleaning companies have machines that will "fog" the whole place with an air neutralizer of sorts. Best of luck!
Terra, you're finally back in Utah and now I'm not there! Will we ever get to see each other face to face again??!! I'm sorry to hear that your new place is kind of crapy...it's only for a little while right...Nate and I miss Utah tons! Right now it's 5 degrees F, not including the wind chill!! Yikes! It's that kind of cold that gets you right to the bone!! Keep your chin up! I'm sure the time will fly right by!
TERRA, I am glad I found your blog... You are an inspiration! I am debating to go with my husband to Hawaii right now. I can't imagine leaving my little home in Santa Monica. I am so sad...it's hard to think about leaving when I've lived here for almost eight years and my whole life is here. Thanks for the little bit of hope. Don't be sad!! I know you'll do great!!
Post a Comment