Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Spring Cleaning

So, I got on this kick to clean out the house. The last two days we went through almost every room throwing away a lot and re-organizing. It's been pretty fun for me since I'm a weirdo like that. I came across a lot of things from college: old journal entries, papers I wrote, past assignments, etc. I had some fun reminiscing and was surprised by how many things I'd forgotten. It's odd to think how much has changed--I almost don't seem like the same person anymore. I had interesting ideas and relationships. I was always thinking and writing and working with people and discovering new things. I analyzed and laughed more. It was a wonderful time of life. I told Jeremy it was weird that the three most important people to me now, didn't even exist in my life then. It's hard not to miss life before poopy diapers, endless household chores, monotonous days and toddler-talk. But, honestly, I wouldn't trade it. I love being a mom, even though it's not exciting or as easy as I thought. I'm trying to focus on being my best self and making my life what I want it to be (so I can ward off those baby blues.) And I realized my life really has taken a back seat to the lives of my boys, but that's rewarding in other ways too. So, here's to motherhood... and gratitude for journals so I could escape into my past life for a few hours today!

Just a funny note: Paul was following us around, making his own piles of things. I asked him if he wanted to be a writer when he grew up and he said, "No, I'm going on a mission like Uncle Neil." So I think it's worth giving up myself for a little while to raise a missionary (or two) :)

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

AMEN! Life certainly has changed since having children, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Even after potty training!! (Not my most favorite part of mothering). Don't the good old days at PHS seem like a lifetime ago??

Kim-the-girl said...

What a great perspective on things. Life is harder now, but I agree that it is very rewarding (sometimes in ways I have to search high and low for-but the rewards are there). I have adopted a new mantra of "Say it with a Smile" and it is helping the whole family to smile and laugh a lot more. Hopefully, I can keep it up! It is good to hear someone else going through similar things to help me keep going. So, thanks!

KellyAnne said...

I loved Paul's comment at the end and yours about raising a missionary or two. That makes it all worth it. :)