I usually welcome back-to-school time. I love the changing seasons, especially autumn. I love going back-to-school shopping, pulling out my old sweaters, getting back on a schedule and routine. This year I feel like I'm bent backwards under a limbo stick, realizing that if I take a step forward or backward, I'm going to fall on my bum.
For the first time, there's no one going back to school in our house. (It took me a while after graduating from college to not miss going back to school in the fall.) Yet, we are still students technically. Another rotation has started and more friends have moved away. Thankfully our across-the-sidewalk neighbors returned. Our boys play together outside almost all day. Jennie brought over a plate of warm oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. And I can't tell you how comforted I felt looking out the window and seeing their blinds open. Our other dear friends, the Despain's, came for a visit this weekend. Little Lucy squealed when she saw Paul and they ran to each other for a big hug. They came for dinner last night, put their kids to bed at our house, and stayed up talking, playing cards and watching a movie until 1am. Awww...the good old days.
I felt a little jealous today in Relief Society sitting behind a row a new first year wives. It was so exciting to move here and start school and our experiences have made us grow and bonded us to friends like none we've ever had before. Now so many have gone off on rotations or graduated. I keep telling myself I'll make new friends, but the a voice in my head says, "but I don't want new friends; I want to keep my old friends!"
Tonight we attended our 4th and final dessert social at the park for all the LDS Opt student families. In a few months, we're moving away too. Graduation is so close I can almost taste it and I can't believe how fast it's gone. And then, since Jeremy is going to do a residency, it'll be two years from now until we're actually settled (who knows where) and starting his first real job. It seems forever away...
And then it will Paul going off to school.
4 comments:
I'm so glad you had fun with the DeSpains and that you have fun neighbors again. You'll never believe how many times I've wished there was some way you guys could have joined us on our move up here. We miss you guys a lot. Be careful not to wish away the time you have now. Graduation and "moving on" is great but there are good things about being sort-of-students too. Soon you'll look back and realize that these few months didn't last long at all, so try to make the best of each day!
"The grass always seems greener on the other side...!" as they say!
I know what you mean about missing being a student as the season approaches. I still miss it occassionally and it's been 4 years for me (which I can hardly believe). It's so exciting and fun to start a new year, like an adventure. What you guys are doing is an adventure too though don't forget. The next two years will fly by so don't blink and miss it.
I know what you mean looking at the first year wives, just the few that I was able to meet I felt the same way. And, being in Utah is not the same! Making new friends here seems totally pointless, I'm only here for 3 months they know it and I know it. But, so far, so good. I'm trying to make the most of it and enjoy all the experiences that come my way. Just know that you're not alone in your autumn longings/thoughts!
Okay, that was the saddest post I have ever read... :) So its been awhile since I have been able to experience "fall fever" (when it isn't refering to football season..) but I still get excited when I see the kids waiting for the bus for the first time. Anyway, you are lucky to have found such good friends.
Post a Comment