Sunday, September 2, 2007

Frowny Faces

I just had to share a most embarrassing moment from today. Paul has been sleeping in the last few days and today, since church starts at 2, he didn't get a nap. So during the sacrament prayer, Paul was having trouble keeping his marker tower together and he missed folding his arms for the prayer. For some reason, this really upset him and I had to haul him out while he cried, "I want to say the prayer!" In the foyer the tantrum escalated, until in the end after 30 minutes he was outside sobbing and kicking at the door and I was inside trying to keep my patience. He ran in every time the door opened and attacked me and so I would take him back outside, reminding that he could come in when he calmed down. It felt like one of the most embarrassing moments of my life (and I have wet my pants in public before--not as a child I will add).
I always wonder what other people think at these moments. I'm sure there are the sympathetic ones, the empathetic ones, the grateful-my-children-don't-act-like-that ones, the please-get-control-of-your-child ones, and maybe a few judgmental ones. I add that last one because that may have been me before I had kids. Honestly, I used to have all the answers (or think I did) and now that I'm a mom, I honestly have no idea what I'm doing much of the time. I have a whole list of things I swore my child would never do (say, look like, get away with, etc.) that I might as well cut up and use for a craft project if I ever did those like I had planned to do with my kids. (Crafts, two-year-old boys and me don't mesh well.)
The good thing is, I think I am becoming a more sympathetic and empathetic person. And I really do try to learn from my parenting experiences. Now I know that even when Paul sleeps in, he still needs a nap.

6 comments:

Aubrey said...

Oh, you poor girl! I remember those blissfully ignorant days before I had children when I knew exactly how my children would and would not act. And then I had Ella! But I wouldn't worry too much about what people think. And I am guessing that if they have ever had children they are thinking, "That poor mom!" Because we have all been there!!

Kim-the-girl said...

I can totally relate! I have said for the past few months that Sacrament meeting is the most humbling part of my life. Its just terrible, but I still do it and hopefully they will learn the importance and appreciate the Spirit someday! I, too, worry about what others are thinking, but they're probably just thinking about the noise their kids are making.

Stacey said...

Oh, great story. Can totally relate. So, yesterday I decide to take Jace with me on a shoe shopping excursion, which he did quite well at as long as the goldfish and juice didn't run out. But, I knew my clock was winding down. Every mother knows the clock starts when you walk through those doors. It was definitely time to go and as we stood in line, he was itching to get out of the cart. So, I thought what's the harm in that. Well, he proceeded to run through all the racks screeming and laughing. At first, I thought, oh well, it's better than him crying, but I could see people watching me and I wondered...hmm...what are they thinking of me??? I tried helplessly to hold him but that wiggle wart wouldn't have it! I was proud that I stayed calm but a tad embarrassed thinking "that" child would never be "my" child. :) Little did I know.

KellyAnne said...

Awesome. I mean, I'm sorry you had to live through that, but picturing it in my mind is totally entertaining. :)
I figure that as long as you can laugh it off later it's all good. It helps if you can laugh it off DURING too, but that doesn't happen for me very often!
Speaking of church though, I have to add that this has suddenly become 100 times more difficult for me as well. I think my kids USED to be reasonably good, but not anymore. Sacrament meeting is so frustrating. Dallin is ALWAYS tired and cranky, Kara talks too loudly (and too MUCH!), and Isaac is something ELSE (how much longer till he starts nursery?!). And Justin always has to go help with the sacrament because there is only one deacon right now. So picture me on my own every week with this crew, trying mantain some shred of reverence... What a nightmare. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Kim-the-girl said...

RIght now we're spoiled in Sacrament because Grandma sits with us. One kid for each of us, aaahhh... However, I just remembered a PAVA activity I went to last year sometime that Bryant (yes my FOUR year old) was out of control, so much so that I was trying to get all my kids out the door (from the 3rd floor) I ended up dragging Bryant by his foot to the elevator. Dr. Lingle was there and saw me and when I had to return to the 3rd floor for Bryant's shoes (they came off in the course of our battle) she said to me, "I felt so sorry for you. I've been there and it stinks!" I was relieved to hear sympathy for me, rather than for my son. Kids can be impossible sometimes!

Dean Spencer said...

I'm gald i am a guy.