Sunday, March 9, 2008

News

This just in:
We've been checking Jer's email almost every 5 minutes all weekend, hoping for the residency match results. We got home from dinner tonight and found out through fellow students that some people had heard if they had or hadn't matched. We had not heard anything. According to the website, matchers are notified first, then non-matchers. We figured we hadn't matched (un-matched sites were already posted too). The stress of deciding what to do next was more over-whelming than I imagined it would be. Our relief was very great when we heard we had matched with the Salt Lake City VA (the original email did not reach us for some reason). So, we're excited to say that we'll be here for another year. We still plan on moving (hopefully to rent a house), but it will be nice to be near family and the friends we've made. The residency is optional for Optometrists, but we felt that it was the best thing for his career as well as our family. It's paid (although not much and Jer will take a 2nd job) and will be for one year. Jeremy was an intern at the VA, so he knows the doctors and really enjoyed his time there. We're looking forward to this next step.
In other news:
Sam is finally walking! He's been standing and cruising for about 5 months now, so it seems like it's taken him forever to decide to venture out on his own. I'll try to post a video soon.

14 comments:

Delee said...

Congrats! I'm so excited for you guys! Hopefully you can find a great place to live. And you don't have to move to another state, yeah! I'm so happy for you starting another step in Jer's career. Pretty so you won't have to live like students!
And Sam is finally walking! Good for him. I knew it was just around the corner. You guys are going to have such a great summer with your boys being the ages they are, enjoy! Love you!

Marc Gingell said...

Congratulations! We didn't even know you guys were back in Salt Lake!

Debra said...

Congrats! We'll have to get together when we come out that way. You should come visit us in Dino land this summer!

Cali said...

Tanti, tanti, tanti auguri! I am so happy for you! Nate has one of his internships at the VA next year--the last one is there. Hopefully we'll be able to get together! (And have that Italian dinner we never had!) We are so happy for you. Congrats.

Amy said...

Cool, so he can go check on my Grandpa Andy every once in a while.

Kim-the-girl said...

Woohoo! That is so great! We knew he'd match somewhere. Way to go Jeremy!

Jake and Krista said...

Thas's way exciting to know that you are going to be there for at least another year! Congrats!

Tina said...

Yeah! We get you longer now!!! :) We are so excited to be able to spend some more time with you guys! Love ya!

Rachel said...

Congrats! That is really exciting!

Neil said...

Nice work Jer! You are the Man! I'm excited for you guys and to be able to stay with you guys this summer. Thanks for letting me ands also for looking out for jobs. It helps so much. You guys are so nice and just the BOMB! thanks again for everything, Love you.

Kina and Nathan said...

That awesome! Some more time un UT. I'm a little jealous! I'm not quite sure what the whole matching thing means but it seems like to not match would really suck! so good job Jer!

KellyAnne said...

Wow! Congratulations you guys! I'm sorry I'm so behind, I haven't been checking blogs lately. I'm excited for you and the next step!! :)

JandS Morgan said...

That must be such a relief to have that all setup now, particularly nice to not go far. Good luck with the internship.

Dean Spencer said...

yay for Dr. Gerritsen!