Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dear Samuel

One year ago I gave birth to the sweetest baby in the world. He really is.
Here are a few fun facts about Sam's birth:
1. He was born, all natural, four days before his due date after about 6 hours of labor.
2. An Enya CD was playing when he was born.
3. He was 7 lbs. 2 oz.
4. He was born at 9:23 a.m. on February 9, 2007.
5. He shares his birthday with two administers at Pacific University, who wanted to name him Kenester after them.
6. After the ultrasound that confirmed he was a boy, Jeremy said, "I think his name is Samuel" and I agreed. Before that Jeremy was hoping to name him Jacob after his grandpa.
7. His middle name, Spencer, is my maiden name.

Sam is an easy-going little guy, although he started throwing tantrums (stomping his feet and getting red in the face and all) when things don't go his way. He's also very meticulous and will sit and put a lid on a container over and over again or stack a few blocks on top of each other. He likes to push cars and trucks around and chase a ball. He can walk between furniture and Mom and Dad, but prefers to crawl to get around. He's obsessed with riding his wheeled horse and can get on and off and ride backward and forwards. (This is also the item that causes the most tantrums!) He likes to babble and says about 10 words. He can point to his head on command, whistle and whisper. He stills love to cuddle and snuggle.

Poor little Sam was sick on his first birthday. He poked at his presents, ripped a couple pieces and then wanted Mommy to hold him. After a while he dug in to his cake and tasted a few bites. It was so sad that he was so sick, especially since I'd been so excited about watching him enjoy his birthday. I got a few cute pictures of him the day before, playing in his truck and included those.

I am so very blessed to be Samuel's mother. He's a very special little boy and I love him so much. He makes our family more complete and we love watching him grow and learn. Happy Birthday, my sweet Sam-man.

5 comments:

KellyAnne said...

This is so sweet.
In the close up picture with Sam in his LEVIS shirt, he looks so much like Paul! Definitely brothers. :)
I like your idea for cakes! You're always so cute and clever. Sam's hat is great too! Did Paul enjoy helping Sam celebrate?

Cam said...

I can't believe how much he looks like Paul, this is the first time I've really noticed it. Very sweet.

Delee said...

I can't believe how big he's getting! He really is such a handsome boy. I hope he feels better soon.
We love you Sam!

Kathy Ricks said...

A whole year gone by since his birth. It seems like yesterday when we drove down to see you guys. Sure wish we could drive down that easily still! Hopefully soon you will be back within driving distance! So sad that he didn't feel good, his eyes show it. Cute cake and hat, he is still just so cute I want to squeeze him! Tell him Auntie Kathy loves him. We miss you guys. Love you!

Kim-the-girl said...

So cute! What a sweet boy and I agree he does look a lot like Paul!