Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My Poor Baby

The last few days have been pretty chaotic around here. We took the boys into the doctor on Monday morning since they still had fevers and were becoming more lethargic and less interested in eating and drinking. They were diagnosed with hemophilias influenza--infections in both ears and eyes. They got prescriptions for an antibiotic. We were hopeful that they would start improving quickly, but in the evening Sam was worsening. He wouldn't eat or drink and when I sat him down, he fell over--he couldn't even hold himself upright. We called the doctor and she suggested taking him to Primary Children's Hospital. So I packed a bag and Jeremy and the neighbor gave Sam a blessing. Jer stayed home with Paul to try to sleep (even though he was too worried to) since he had a 6am flight in the morning. Once checked in, they put Sam on oxygen, which he hated. Then I waited with all the "interesting" people for about 5 hours--apparently it was one of the busiest nights in 3 years. Fortunately, the fever came down. When we finally saw the doctor the tests came back Influenza A and RSV positive, so they decided to keep us overnight. By then Sam had perked up and his fever was still down, so I wasn't very worried about him. We got into our room at 3:30am. I tried to get some sleep on the recliner-bed with Sam hooked up to all kinds of monitors and oxygen still and nurses and doctors checking him every 1-2 hours. Jeremy canceled his interview and changed his flight and met us in the morning. Sam slept most of the day, but successfully pulled out his oxygen and so was breathing well on his own. He also started taking his bottles. All good signs which allowed us go home in the afternoon.
It was a stressful experience, but I think I handled it well, considering I had little sleep and was alone most of the time. I did have a little break-down when I went to the cafeteria to get some breakfast. Silly as it is, I felt I had somehow failed as a mother. I never imagined myself there and it was hard to see Sam hooked up to all those monitors and so sick.
Today both boys are doing better. Sam still falls asleep every couple hours, but he's eating and when he's awake he plays and talks more. Paul is whiny and still prefers to sit on the couch with the TV on, but his fever is gone too and he's eating a little more.
I'm so grateful for the power of prayer and that my boys have been so healthy most of their lives. I can't imagine parents that have to spend a lot of time in hospitals worrying about their kids. I'm also so grateful for doctors, nurses and medicines that work so well. I hope I never have to spend another night in the hospital with a sick baby.

13 comments:

Tina said...

Give them both hugs for me....I can't imagine the last few days for you!! You are a GREAT mom!
Love you all!

izzynjen said...

I can't imagine going to Primary Children's Hospital. Two months ago, Hyrum had a double ear infection w/ a high fever...I panicked over that. I hope your little men get better! :)

Josh and Cori said...

wow-that's so sad. It's hard having 2 little ones home sick-at the same time-and then having to tackle the hospital by yourself? You are superwoman, and a wonderful mom. I know how hard it is seeing your child hooked up to oxygen and monitors, but you made it through, and it sounds like all is going to be fine. Get some rest!

Aubrey said...

You poor thing! That is so hard. And sad! You are a wonderful mom. We have all been there. I'm glad everyone is feeling better.

Carrie said...

How scary! I'm sorry you guys had to go through that, but I am so glad things are a little better today. I hope the boys continue to have a speedy recovery.

Amy said...

Oh man! It's scary enough when they are just sick at home. I'm glad they are doing better. Make sure you get the help you need to so you can "recover" from the experience too.

Cali said...

I am glad that they are getting better--what a sad experience. I'm grateful, too, that we have all the conveniences of modern medicine and the power of prayer and the priesthood to help us through situations such as these.

brooke said...

Terra you are a wonderful mother, that all shows through even through a blog. Stuff like that just happens. We had to take Sienna to the ER when she was a baby, I felt horrible too. But really, you do what you have to. I'm proud of you!

Devin said...

wow, so glad things are looking better, you'll be in our prayers

KellyAnne said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry you all had to go through that. I would be so panicked and scared. I'm wishing I could have been there to help out, somehow! Sorry about Jeremy's interview too, was he able to reschedule? Wow. Again I'm so sorry! I hope your boys recover soon. Give them extra squeezes and yourself one too! Miss you!

Rachel said...

How scary. I hate when my kids are sick, I feel so helpless. I'm glad they are doing better. Ok, so I never clued in that you blog, pretty slow of me, but I'm here now, and I'm totally going to check out your blog, and now I can keep updated. Yeah bloggers!

Stacey said...

wow, you've been through a lot in a couple days. I'm sorry. It's no fun having sick kids. it's so hard when you feel like there's nothing you can do. glad they're doing better.

JandS Morgan said...

Wow, what a stressful time. Hopefully you've filled your quota for bad sicknesses this year.