Friday, February 8, 2008

Recipe Contest


We're tired of eating the same things for dinner, so I'm calling for your family's favorite dinner recipes. We'll try them all and select our favorite. The winner gets a $10 gift certificate to a restaurant of your choice. (Only one submission per family.) Thanks for playing!

16 comments:

Kathy Ricks said...

last night I made pigs in a blanket, but I used sauages and pillsbury crescent rolls. they were a hit!

for taco salad or tacos, in your crockpot put just a little bit of water, chicken breast (frozen is OK in fact better) and dump a package of taco mix over the chicken. when you have about 2 hours left start twisting the chicken. you will have the best chicken taco ever.

I also made chile with just kidney beans and black beans, and stewed tomatos, cubed the chicken (it wasn't frozen), one package of chile mix - I did stir this one during the day. but you probably don't have to in the crock pot.

Kathy Ricks said...

oops! sorry i forgot to follow the rules!! but then i would want you to keep the $10 - love you forever

Carrie said...

I'll ask Brian and the kids at breakfast which recipe I should use. I think I've got a pretty good idea what Alyssa will say. Submitting soon...

Delee said...

Three Citrus Chicken

Salt and pepper chicken tenderlions, cook in olive oil until done

Combined
1/3 cup orange juice
3 tbls. minced green onions
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel grated 1/2 tsp grated lime peel
2 tbls lemon juice
2 tbls lime juice
2 tsp corn starch
2 1/2 tbls honey
simmer about 5 min.
stirring frequently
drizzle chicken with sauce

I've also used this sauce over Asaragus and Tortolini with salt, pepper, and basil.

I also was bored with my same old recipes so I borrowed some cook books from the library, I just got them so after I try some recipes I'll give you some recommendations.

KellyAnne said...

Wow, that 3 Citrus thing sounds really good!
I can't believe you're asking for help with recipes, it always seems to me that you have the best ones! I'll think about it though and get back to you. This is fun!

Cam said...

Get some frozen chicken breasts , put them in a crockpot. In a pan on the stove mix together a can of cream of mushroom soup, a cube of butter, onion and chives sour cream (8 oz.) and a packet of Italian seasoning. Pour over the chicken and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve over angel hair pasta- delicious!

Carrie said...

I'm going to try the crockpot chicken on Sunday! That looks good.

The meal we have the most frequently (because Alyssa loves it) is chicken divan. Cook two or three chicken breasts. I usually boil them. Then cut them up into cubes and layer them in the bottom of a pan. The next layer is steamed broccoli florets (I usually get the frozen broccoli and steam those in the microwave.) Then take two cans of cream of chicken soup and about a half cup of mayoniase and mix that together with probably a teaspoon of seasoning salt. Spread that on top of the chicken and broccoli. Break up a few slices of bread, then toss the pieces in a 1/4 cup of butter, and sprinkle on top of the sauce. (You can also crush up ritz crackers - it's faster.) Then sprinkle some cheese on top and bake it in the over for about 25-30 minutes.

I don't know if this counts as two recipes, but we like to have jell-o salad with chicken divan. All you do is mix a tub of cool whip with a container of cottage cheese and a small package of jell-o. (You don't have to add the whole package. I usually add half, then add more to taste.)Then mix in some banana, apple chunks, mandarin oranges, or whatever fruit you like. I think black cherry jell-o makes the best salad.

Kim-the-girl said...

when does your contest end? I don't have my recipes handy for a few days...

Terra said...

It won't end for a few days since the boys are still sick...and actually it'll take a while to try all the recipes so submit after you move, Kim. I'm looking forward to it!

Cam said...

So, I need to "re-submit" my recipe, since I was typing the instructions up from memory, and I didn't do so well... oops! So here you go:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cube butter
1/2 C chicken broth
1 pkg. good seasons Italian dressing (dry)
1/2 container of onion and chive cream cheese

Melt butter and cream cheese, then stir in the other ingredients. Pour over 4-6 frozen chicken breasts in crockpot. Cook for 6-8 hours on low, spoon over angel hair pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

I got 1/2 of it right the first time at least! :)

Carrie said...

Terra, if you haven't made the chicken divan yet, don't put that much seasoning salt in. It's probably more like 1/2 ysp. Just sprinkle it in to taste.

Rachel said...

What a great idea, this contest. I'm going to steal some of the recipes. I'll submit too, in a day or two.

Barney Family Blog said...

Wow Terra
Great idea to get new recipe's. I missed this part of your blog last time I peeked at it so sorry if this is too late, either way if I win you can send the $10 to Betty Crocker because that's where I got the recipe

Straw and hay pasta (Don't be fooled by the name)

1 T. butter
1 1/2 c. sliced mushrooms
4 oz. fully cooked ham cut into 1x 1/4 in. strips
2 T. fresh parsley
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
1/4 c. chicken broth
1 c. whipping cream
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 pkg. plain and spinah fettuccine
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese

1. Melt butter in skillet pver med-high. Cook mushrooms, ham, parsley and onion in butter, stirring occasionally, intil mushrooms are tender. Stir in broth. Cook uncoverd until liquid has evaporated.
2. Stir in whipping cream, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling;reduce heat. simmer uncovered about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
3. Mix with cooked fettuccines and sprinkle with cheese.

Rachel said...

I'm submitting my recipe, Yea. So cooking a roast probably isn't new to many, but it is to me, and it was a great discovery, cause the meat can be realatively cheap, it is an easy meal, with lots of left over options.

1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. seasoned pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 onion cut into 8 wedges
3 carrots peeled, cut into 1" slices
1 celery stalk coarsly chopped
1 C. beef broth
3 T. cornstarch
1/4 C. water

Rub seasonings onto meat, brown on all sides. Put veggies into slow cooker, with the meat on top. Pour in broth. Cook on low for 8-9 hours, or high for 4. To make gravy, mix water and cornstarch and add to remaining juices.

Leftover ideas:
shred meat for: fajitas, tacos, or soft tacos, french dip sandwiches or a beef stew.

Enjoy!

Marc Gingell said...

You may not remember us (Marc and Hillary) but Jeremy should. Tell him hi from Marc. I was just playing around with my blog and found yours. So here is my contribution to your contest. Great idea!


Chicken and Black Bean Tostadas

1 - 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (1 lb. chicken breasts)
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. ground cumin
Juice of 1 lime
2 green onions, chopped
Tostadas

In a frying pan, combine the black beans, chicken breasts, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, lime juice and green onions. Heat until warm. Place on tosadas and top with cilantro and tomatoes. I use the tyson chicken strips in the lunch meat section.

Unknown said...

Hi Terra! Thanks for dinner last night. The roast was great. I sent some trail mix home with Jeremy for Paul. Here is the recipe for those pork chops.

1 apple thinly sliced
1 vidalia onion thinly sliced
1 yellow/red/orange pepper thinly sliced

Saute the vegetables in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Then stuff the inside of 4 thick cut pork loins. Use a very sharp knife to cut a pocket in the center...being careful not to cut through the full thickness.

Top with BBQ sauce. (You can make your own or use your favorite from the grocery store.) Bake at 350 until your meat thermomter tells you they are done. They'll take about 35-45 minutes depending on the thickness.

I always eat them with baked potatoes because they can go into the oven at the same time.

Enjoy! :-)